Friday, September 24, 2010

Facebook Shenanigans

Otto Rapp

Facebook Shenanigans

 

A couple of days ago I discovered that Facebook was blocking weebly hosted sites, which includes our VISIONARY ART GALLERY.

Apparently, this has something to do with a handful of sub-domains on weebly, supposedly having been  flagged by McAffee (what does McAffe say to this? check HERE). The same supposed  flags had also caused similar blocks on MySpace before. I do not understand why a few sites could cause such a problem for all the weebly sites (there are over 4 million users on weebly!). I can assure you, our site is perfectly safe, as are the sites of several of our members who also have their websites hosted on weebly (and are also blocked on facebook and MySpace). 

In order to continue bringing our content to the attention of facebook users, I had already in the past copied whole pages from our gallery onto my posterous blog, which in turn is auto-fed to facebook and several other sites. I will now increase this activity, and would encourage those who blog to do the same.

The feature I like on posterous is that when the blog contains a embedded slide show, it is also shown on the feed to facebook. Check out my latest posts on my facebook wall: http://www.facebook.com/otto.rapp 

Love, Peace and Happiness

Otto Rapp

4 comments:

ART OF THE MYSTIC OTTO RAPP said...

Update:
OK, we are back on - facebook finally unblocked weebly hosted sites.
What their reason was in the first place is a mystery.

ART OF THE MYSTIC OTTO RAPP said...

In the meantime, a artist friend of mine got severely pissed off by their attitude and posted this on his wall, as well as on his artist page and group:
"Since facebook decided to consider a valid link I wanted to post here as reported spam or abuse, and I had to click " okay" to that insult, I decided not to post anything here anymore. They can go to hell! I also deleted all my images from here. If you want to see my work and follow the evolution, you can visit my site....
To me facebook is dead and gone.

ART OF THE MYSTIC OTTO RAPP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ART OF THE MYSTIC OTTO RAPP said...

Just in case someone follows links - disregard any references to posterous - that blogging platform does not exist anymore.
I had always been blogging on blogger here http://artofthemystic.blogspot.co.at and since posterous' demise, it is my main blog.